Saturday, August 4, 2012

last day :(


Yesterday was the last day at the school. I knew from the moment that I woke up that it was going to be hard to say goodbye to the kids that I had grown to love so much. I had never expected that it would be as hard as it was to say good bye.
When we got there we had so much to do. People were running around every which way, trying to get things ready for the kids. Everyone was blowing up balloons, papering food, and giving out clothing.  After about 5 minutes we had a good system going, Kevin set up the computer Meaghan and Douglas gave out the clothes, and Makena and I set up the party space.  After it was all set up kids from the home visits started showing up. Marisol was there with her parents lots of others were there also.  I was so happy to see them showing some care towards their kids and being a part of their lives. Once lunch was ready the kids ran to the lunch room and were so amazed by all the work we had done. They ate their lunch and kept coming to get more!
After lunch we did all the dishes, and then started the fiesta. We had two piñatas I think everyone loved those, even the parents were diving for candy.  The kids were so pleased; they sat us all down and read their thanks. Then they called us up one by one and gave us Nicaraguan gifts to show how much they loved having us there to help. It meant so much more than another gift I had ever gotten because they have nothing, yet they joined together to get us each something.  After lunch was over the kids had to go home. I was so sad to see them go. I have grown to love these kids so much and it just rips me apart to see them all leave, so happy and know that they will go back to school on Monday and none of us will be there.  I gave hugs to everyone, but I will miss Ramón the most. He had a smile the lifted your heart, and a laugh that was so contagious.  I only spent a day with him but that day was the best day of my life. I will miss him dearly.
We left the school and went to Carmen- margarita’s house for a going away party that the teachers had made for us. There was a DJ and huge speakers. The girls were trying to teach me how to dance and shake my hips but I just couldn’t do it. It was so bad that I made everyone laugh.  Again it just shows how much they grew to love us.  I will defiantly miss this place, and I will try really hard to stay in contact with all the kids. 

No comments:

Post a Comment